Monday, February 22, 2010

Security Versus Civil Liberties

Question #3:
Posner believes that as humans' divine rights cannot be broken, but the civil liberties we have become so accustomed to are not, in fact, divine right. These rights that the Supreme Court has defined work so that everything citizens say is not imposed on, however, during times of crisis and vulnerability the government has the right to impose on these liberties. Throughout history the US has come to think of itself as a safe heaven, but history has shown that the government almost always downplays the vulnerability of the country. Since WWII, every major crisis and attack on the US has been underestimated. Thus if a heightened state of awareness would have alerted the government and prevented the attacks, it should have been done.
I completely agree with Posner. It is nice to consider ourselves free of wire tapping and such nonsense because the average citizen is not plotting against the country. But that is just it, I am not plotting against the country or planning any illegal activities the government would concern itself with, so I have no issue on them "listening in" is it means lives are saved because somewhere, someone was caught. There are people who believe their privacy will be "invaded" but some bureaucrat in Washington does not know who I am, nor will he ever care; unless flag words are heard the probable truth is that no one will even listen to my calls very closely. I feel it is a bit ridiculous to put my personal privacy rights over the safety of my country.

2 comments:

  1. I would disagree with you I am willing to give up part of my privacy for my own personal security. How can you expect to detect the terrorist if you do not tap into all there communication devices? I think that it has to be like a search warrant witch there has to be probable cause to suspect that one of those people is planning to attack the United States or any other country and for everyone safety we should do everything in the government power to stop it. Right now I feel that we have done a great deal with the help of the European Nation as they are always as well of us are constantly intercepting terrorist plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you misunderstood me. If you reread the final paragraph you'll find that I agree with you. My final sentence deals with my personal privacy comparing very little to the safty of an entire country. I believe probable cause is a great requirement to begin listening in, however, I can honeslty say most of my initial assessments in people are correct, and I can only assume the FBI is even better at profiling than I am.
    I said that those who are not guilty of anything have nothing to worry about becauase they're only searching for specific "flag words".

    ReplyDelete